Thursday, September 4, 2008

Labor Day Leisure

Our last true days of summer ended on a high note. With a day of rest, a day of BBQs (and new shoes!) and a day of pure bliss, we were ready to start back-to-school week. We enjoyed going into the "city" for a party. However, I must say, as lovely as it was, and as much as we sometimes miss the cultured metropolitan life... I love our big back yard. And my ability to say, when the big boys get on my nerves (as they often do): "Go outside and play!" and have it be so simple.

Monday was literally the perfect day. Not a cloud in the sky, breezy enough to be comfortable and just hint that fall is coming. We took the boys out bike-riding which they loved, to the playground, to Calico and Creme for the very last day of home-made pie and icecream of the summer, and to Grammy's to swim. Who could ask for more?

On Tuesday my big boys went off to school. I was rather broken up about Liam going to his first day of preschool but he marched in with Daddy like a champ and didn't look back. Colin was thrilled to be back as well and as I drove him in and he asked what day it was, he exclaimed: "Good thing I'm going back to school after summer vacation, I forgot all the days of the week!" Liam is convinced that "MY Miss Linda" is his teacher while Colin has "HIS Miss Linda" and never the twain shall meet. I shudder to think what he'll do when he really grasps that "they" are one and the same.



The Boys. Dressed to kill for preschool orientation day. (It's also just easier to do a headcount when I know they are all dressed the same!)


King of the Playground.



Notice that the boys dress themselves. Colin for the weather. Liam, not so much.


What a difference a summer makes. In June Colin still had to use floaties, now he is officially a "swimmer" and loves to dive down to the bottom of the pool to retrieve things.


First Day of School!


Aww, they meet up at swap time. (Liam goes in the morning and Colin in the afternoon so all day I get to have only two boys at home which makes life extremely easy, you know, comparatively.)

1 comment:

The Mitchells said...

I love the picture of the big boys hugging at school! How sweet is that?! I always chuckle at what your boys are wearing...we have a lot of the same clothes. There just isn't much to choose from for little boys! I hope that school is still going great and you are enjoying "only" having two at home.