Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Out of the Mouths of Babes

I've been having trouble uploading pictures from the last week or so but in the meantime, here's some audible tidbits to keep you up to date on what's been going on here in Casa Crazy recently.

Exhibit A: The weather turned warm for a couple days so the kids got to wear their spring vests instead of the full regalia of coat/mittens/hat/snow pants. Liam exclaimed, upon putting on his puffy blue vest: "I'm wearing my life saver!" Summertime seems eons away, but the last time he wore a vest, it was his Coastguard-approved life jacket. It must have made a big impression!

Exhibit B: Winter came back with a vengeance and dumped a bunch more snow on us. During a hike in the woods with big, half-dollar sized flakes drifting down, Colin waxed poetic: "Mommy! It's like snowy butterflies dancing on my nose!"

Exhibit C: Liam: "Mommy, what does dotcom mean?" Ah, the technological age.

Exhibit D: After Liam was clambering to go outside, I asked Colin if he wanted to come out too. His response: "Nah, I think I'll do some worksheets" and proceeded to sit at the kitchen table with his markers and do kindergarten vocabulary worksheets while Liam ran around the yard like a maniac and went sledding backwards down the back hill. Sometimes we worry about Colin but there's a reason we call them "the Brains and the Braun". :)

Exhibit E: This morning, on my way to work, I noticed that my gas tank level had sunk from "15 miles left" to an ominous --- on my dashboard. This, after already being late, having yet to drop the kids off at my parents and needing to photocopy a quiz before my first class... Liam calls out from the backseat: "Mommy, why you say 'Oh Shit'?? You're SUPPOSED to say 'Oh Sugarpops'!!"

Exhibit F: Picking up Colin from school is Liam's worst time of day. He wants to go to school himself and since he isn't old enough yet, he likes to get his attention by running circles around the other moms like a whirling dervish and refusing to listen to anything I say. Tuesday was particularly bad at pick-up when he took his boots off and had a tantrum when I made him put them back on. As I lugged Eamon out under my left arm and built powerful bicep muscles literally dragging Liam along the ground back to the car, the Zen Colin proclaimed: "Liam, you look RIDICULOUS! You're going to ruin your shoes like that!" Ah... age four is so pleasant. (Almost) three... not so much. I have two more months of age two left, what happened? I got gypped!

Exhibit G: After using googly eyes to make little Leprechauns, I caught Liam hiding under the table with them and we had a little chat about it. Last night as I tucked him into bed, I asked him what his favorite part of the day was. He said: "Making Leprechauns! But I NOT put eyes up my nose ANYMORE!!"

Exhibit H: Uh.. uh... Eamon said: "Bababa" a million times. And he waves when you ask him to and he is learning to sign "more" this week (crackers are amazing incentive). Not very verbal yet, but I felt bad leaving the little guy out!

No comments: